Duff & Phelps’ expertise and independence have made us a leading provider of valuation services for business combinations.
Our professionals have an in-depth understanding of financial reporting valuation requirements pursuant to ASC 805, Business Combinations (ASC 805) and International Financial Reporting Standard 3: Business Combinations (IFRS 3), enabling us to offer practical insights into key issues of concern to clients, auditors and regulators.
ASC 805 and IFRS 3 are standards with a high degree of convergence, although certain differences between the two remain. Under both ASC 805 and IFRS 3, the purchase price of an acquisition is allocated to the identifiable assets acquired and liabilities assumed at fair value, with limited exceptions. The identifiable finite-lived assets are then depreciated/amortized over their remaining useful lives.
Duff & Phelps can help you address complex valuation issues arising in the context of ASC 805 and IFRS 3 throughout the transaction continuum, including:
- Pre-acquisition pricing analysis, including estimation of accretion/ dilution impact on earnings by providing preliminary values and economic lives for assets to be acquired.
- Valuation or structuring of contingent consideration with our team of specialists in our Strategic Value Advisory practice, and modeling potential future earnings impact.
- Valuation of contingent assets and liabilities.
- Pro forma allocations required for filings with the SEC and other regulators.
- Acquisition-date fair value measurement of the consideration transferred, any previously-held equity interests and any remaining noncontrolling interests.
- Acquisition-date fair value measurement and economic life analysis of acquired real estate, machinery and equipment, and identifiable intangible assets, including brands, technology, in-process research and development, and customer relationships.
- Fair value measurement of contract liabilities (a.k.a. deferred revenue) and other liabilities.
- Valuation of options to buy/sell equity interests.
- Valuation of derivatives and other financial instruments and their subsequent mark-to-market, when required.
- Allocation of purchase price and goodwill to reporting units (cash generating units).
- Legal entity valuations for tax purposes in connection with the business combination.
Alternative Asset Advisory
Provides an array of consulting services to alternative investment managers and investors.Alternative Asset Advisory
Fairness and Solvency Opinions
Independent opinions for boards of directors and special committees.Fairness and Solvency Opinions
M&A Post Acquisition Disputes
Expert consulting and testifying services related to post-acquisition purchase price disputes.M&A Post Acquisition Disputes
Comprehensive transfer pricing advisory covering compliance, planning, controversy and implementation.Transfer Pricing
Property tax, site selection, transfer pricing, sales and use tax and unclaimed property advisory.Tax Services
Middle-market M&A advisory differentiated by industry expertise and superior deal execution.M&A Advisory
Transaction Advisory Services
Seamless analytical advisory through the deal continuum, from transaction origination to closing.Transaction Advisory Services
Fixed Asset Management and Insurance Solutions
Fixed asset inventory reconciliation, management and property insurance appraisal.Fixed Asset Management and Insurance Solutions
Henry Wells Featured in Mergermarket: M&A in the Face of Historic Uncertainty
Jacco Brouwer Discusses COVID-19 Impact on European Mid-Market Debt
Duff & Phelps Experts Featured in FINANCE Magazin Discussing the German Government’s COVID-19 Relief Fund
Bob Bartell Shares His Views on Restructuring an ESOP Company